Walter Stewart’s was happy to host the Mascarinas ‘Family Lemonade Stand‘ this past Saturday to raise funds for the Great Oaks Charter School in Bridgeport. Skylar (age 10), Deacon (age 9), and Peyton (age 7) Mascarinas sold many homemade items to raise money, but their Chew Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies were particularly popular with many requests for the recipes. So here it is courtesy of their mom Sherryl!
Chew Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies
(adapted from Kathleen King of Tate’s Bake Shop)
2 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt *
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks good quality unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp. Lyle’s Golden Syrup *
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 cups (roughly 1 small bag) semisweet chocolate chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, both sugars, and golden syrup on medium speed until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until incorporated.
4. Gently fold in the chocolate chips in the batter with a spatula.
5. On a parchment paper (or silpat ) lined baking sheet, drop a tablespoon of batter 2 inches apart and slightly flatten the top with your fingers.
6. Depending on the oven temp. bake for 15-20 minutes only until the edges of the cookie starts to become golden brown. Don’t overbake! If the middle of the cookie still feels soft, it’s okay because it will continue to bake when it cools down.
7. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cool completely.