Walter Stewart’s was happy to host the Mascarinas ‘Family Lemonade Stand‘ this past Saturday to raise funds for the Great Oaks Charter School in Bridgeport. Skylar (age 10), Deacon (age 9), and Peyton (age 7) Mascarinas sold many homemade items to raise money, but their Lemon Blueberry Creme Fraiche Scones were an especially big hit with many requests for the recipes. So here it is courtesy of their mom Sherryl!
Lemon Blueberry Creme Fraiche Scones
3 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Demerara sugar for sprinkling *
1 stick + 2 tbsp. COLD unsalted butter, diced into cubes
2 tsp. lemon zest (roughly from one lemon)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt *
8 oz. tub creme fraiche *
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup dried blueberries *
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, lemon zest, sugar, butter, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low speed until it resembles cornmeal.
3. Add the creme fraiche and mix until incorporated.
4. With the mixer speed on low, slowly drizzle in the heavy cream until the dough is moistened but still crumbly. The dough is ready if it looks crumbly but comes together when you press it. Add the blueberries.
5. Dump the dough onto an unfloured silpat mat and divide in half. Very gently pat each of the dough halves into a 1 1/2 -2 inch thick circle. The less you handle the dough, the better since you don’t want the butter to melt. Cut the circle into 8 triangles but cutting it into quarters and cutting each quarter in half. Brush the top with either milk, heavy cream or egg and sprinkle the demerara sugar on top. Repeat with the other dough.
6. Arrange the triangles onto a parchment paper (or silpat) lined baking sheet.
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the top is golden brown.