Walter Stewart’s has long been committed to offering eco-friendlier products and eco-responsible practices.
- US Food Rescue Walter Stewart’s has teamed up with US Food Rescue and their volunteers to tackle the problem of food waste head on. Food Rescue US picks up all of their edible perishables every day, and transports the food to local food pantries and social service agencies.
- Curbside Compost program The rest of our food waste, approximately 20 bins a week, is composted by Curbside Compost.
- Compostable Produce Bags Walter Stewart’s offers the only compostable produce bag approved for use in New Canaan’s Food Scrap program.
- Re-Usable Bags We offer an excellent selection of re-usable shopping bags, including the exclusive New Canaan tote, proceeds of which go to support the New Canaan Nature Center! Use your T-Bill rewards towards the purchase of our reusable totes.
- Sustainable and Eco-Friendly products
You’ll find greener household cleaners and laundry detergents, we use eco-friendly compostable produce bags instead of plastic, we offer a glass bottle deposit/return program with organic glass bottled milk from Trickling Springs Creamery, we of course also offer re-usable shopping bags and we are committed to offering the best selection of local fare from the finest CT producers (East Coast Kombucha, Simply Delicious, Millstone Farm, Il Palio Fresh Pasta, Baldanza Soups, Whistle Stop Bakery Pies, Wave Hill Breads, Four Plus Granola, Shearwater Organic Coffee, Fat Stone Farm, Gilbertie’s Herbs, Arethusa Milk and so many more!), as well as organic and sustainable foods, and bio-dynamic wines. We recently replaced all of our inefficient fluorescent lighting with LED lighting and upgrading our refrigerated cases to new more-efficient models (check out our Dairy Doors!).