Jeanette Chen, a resident of New Canaan for 20 years, is the busy mom of 4 boys and author
of a popular health and wellness food blog, Jeanette’s Healthy Living. Easy hot dips are especially welcome for family and guests alike. This “skinnied” version of a popular dip can
be made ahead of time and heated just before guests arrive.
Skinny Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- 8.5 ounces artichoke hearts (14 ounce can artichoke hearts, drained)
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 16 ounce pack frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Fontina cheese, shredded (you can also substitute 1/2 Parmesan, 1/2 low-fat mozzarella)
- paprika, for garnish
- Place artichoke hearts in food processor bowl and pulse until coarsely chopped; remove to a bowl.
- Place cottage cheese in food processor bowl and process until smooth.
- Squeeze excess water from defrosted spinach; reserve.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion and garlic, and saute until onions are soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add spinach, chopped artichokes, nutmeg, cayenne, and pepper to taste. Cook until warmed through and excess liquid evaporates. Turn off heat and add pureed cottage cheese and grated Fontina cheese. Stir until warmed through and cheese melts.
- Spoon into serving dish and sprinkle with a little paprika.