Jeanette Chen, a resident of New Canaan for 20 years, is the busy mom of 4 boys and author of a popular health and wellness food blog, Jeanette’s Healthy Living. She was recently nominated for Best Health Blog by Healthline and is always looking for ways to make healthier meals for her family and friends. This week Jeanette shares a lunch hit with her boys. With the summer coming, this fresh and quick dish is a crowd pleaser.
- bamboo skewers
- 3 pounds boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried oregano, rosemary, thyme or a mixture
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Assorted bell peppers (I used red, yellow, orange)
- Summer Squash
Chimichurri Sauce is good on just about anything – chicken, fish, or grilled vegetables. My kids will eat just about anything with this sauce. Mix all ingredients together.
- 4 tablespoons minced parsley
- 4 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- a dash or two of ground cumin salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken in a large bowl. Add lemon, olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper. Let marinate at least one hour and up to overnight.
- Cut peppers into 1″ pieces. Cut zucchini and summer squash into 1/2″ thick pieces that are about 1″ inch wide (I cut semi-circles for the larger pieces).
- Soak bamboo skewers for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Skewer chicken and vegetables, alternating chicken and vegetables.
- Grill until done.
- Serve with Chimichurri Sauce, if desired.