With the winter’s cold weather upon us, nothing is as welcoming as a bowl of homemade soup.Continue reading
Easy Hot Black Bean Salsa Dip
Our guest contributor this week is Jeanette from Jeanette’s Healthy Living.
Now that football season is full gear, Sunday afternoons are the perfect time to enjoy some football snacks with family and friends while watching your favorite teams. This hearty bean dip hits the spot with just a little kick from chipotle pepper and is sure to please everyone.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- One medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, or one 15-ounce canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat organic cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Saute onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes until onions are softened.
- Add black beans and cook another minute or two until warmed through. Mash lightly with the back of a large spatula.
- Add corn, tomatoes, oregano, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, chipotle powder and salt to taste.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until vegetables are warmed through.
- Spoon contents of pan into a pie pan.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with organic corn tortilla chips or whole grain crackers.
Photo credit: Jeanette Fu Chen