These wonderfully fresh ingredients complement each other perfectly, creating a delicious and hearty salad from the kitchen of Julia Deane’s Culinary Works.Continue reading
Jeanette Chen, a resident of New Canaan for 20 years, is the busy mom of 4 boys and author of a popular health and wellness food blog, Jeanette’s Healthy Living. She’s off to a healthy start to the New Year with this kid approved Warm Kale, Farro and Winter Fruit Salad, packed with goodness. Farro is a whole grain that looks a little like barley, and retains a soft but chewy texture when cooked. It is rich in fiber, magnesium and vitamins A, B, C, and E.
Warm Kale, Farro and Winter Fruit Salad
Use your favorite vinegar and dried fruits. Fresh cut apples or clementines would also be nice.
- 1 cup semi-pearled farro
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate vinegar or your favorite fruit flavored vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried figs, quartered
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled aged goat cheese or regular goat cheese
- Place farro and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook, covered, for 20-25 minutes until tender (but still chewy). Drain, rinse and drain again. Place in a large bowl and toss with vinegar, honey, dried cranberries and dried figs.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil and add kale leaves. Saute 1-2 minutes until kale is just tender. Add to farro, along with salt, pine nuts and goat cheese. Toss well and serve.